Thursday 7 January 2016

Siem Reap on a BUDGET!

So, I graduated from Uni. Decided not to jump straight into work, and I decided to backpack. which is the best decision I've ever made. I've been wanting to see the Angkor region for the longest time.

I just graduated.. no job.. no money.. TONS OF TIME.. I got a part time job, saved up as much as I could. AND I WENT !

Things in Siem Reap can be pretty cheap if you can control yourself. NOW... LETS TALK MONEY !! I'm really on a budget, if you're on a budget.. this is for you.

BUDGET ! KA-CHING  $$
Siem reap airport  to Pub Street : 4 USD for motordob, about 7-10 USD for tuk tuk
Daily expenses : 15 USD a day. (I allocate myself a daily budget so I have enough money to survive)
Angkor Wat : 1 day (20 USD), 3 days (40 USD), 7 days (60 USD)
Tuk Tuk : 15-17 USD for full day at Angkor
Partying : beer (0.50-1 USD), cocktails (1.50-3.00 USD)
Bicycle : 3USD for a day
Hostel : 4-6 USD per night
1 USD is about 4000 Riel

 stayed at Funky flashpacker. A party hostel, awesome crowd, food was so so, the dorms are great.

Back to the topic, as you can see from the budget. Your biggest expenses will be the ticket to Angkor. I took the 3 days cause I'm going to cycle and I love to spend a couple days there. If you're not much of a temple person, one day will be enough.

Lets say you'll be spending 4 days there (solo), you will need about 150-170 USD.

FOODDDDDD !
Food can be really cheap or really expensive. I try to find the 1USD restaurant. I do spend a little more to try the local cuisine. But my budget for a dish will be about 1-2.50 usd. If they're charging 5 USD above, its definitely  a restaurant for tourist. Just so you know, USD to them is alot of money. The locals are not even paying so much for food. In Cambodia, I realized that the tourist are paying so much more than the local.


SCAMBODIA !
Yup.. there are scams everywhere... I'm gonna make it short and simple for yall
Tuk tuk : agree on a price. Pay exactly the amount + tip if you want to. Bring loads of change with you. Some may rip you off and ask you for more.. Pay for the exact amount

Tuk Tuk: Don't buy stuff from them... weed, prostitute... anything... DON'T... I've heard alot of stories.. just don't..

Tuk tuk again... : if your hostel provide tuk tuk services, use them. At least they are more trustworthy than random tuk tuk on the street. If they rip you off, you can always go back to the hostel to complain.

Motordob : I hired a motordob from the airport to the my hostel. (they're a vendor outside the airport, they have a receipt and everything, they are pretty trustworthy)... HOWEVER ! those on the side of the road.. DON'T EVER EVER hire them.. I got ripped off.. this guy agreed to bring me somewhere for 2 USD end up charging me 5 USD (which is alot of money to them).. its not that bad, but who knows it can be worse ?

Kids...: those kids.. I know.. but you just have to shut yourself off.. some want you to buy milk powder for their brothers.. but they will just sell it back to the store for money..

YALL CAN DONATE, BUT JUST GO WITH YOUR INSTINCT !
yall can donate to those legit organization / land mine victims / education group etc

despite being ripped off. Do I enjoy Siem reap ? OF CAUSE ! I love it there ! Angkor wat is magnificent, the people are friendly, the food is good, the beer is good. Whats not to love ?

Will update more about Angkor wat in my coming post

check out my angkor wat video

4 comments:

  1. This place I have go it before,Actually is no bad.
    Daily food : nasi goreng..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wah! Finally! Finally you post about your trip from last year. Lol... looking forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a lot of fun :) Though I just hate it when nearly all places have so much tourist traps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. exactly ! Its sad that all these people are going around with all these scams and putting such a beautiful place with a bad name

      Delete